knowledge and expertise
As a renal nurse there are many reasons to maintain and improve your level of knowledge and expertise.
The first is the requirement from Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA):
- To meet this registration standard, you must complete a minimum of 20 hours of CPD per registration period.
- This registration standard applies to all enrolled nurses, registered nurses and midwives.
- The standard applies equally to enrolled nurses, registered nurses and midwives who work either full-time or part-time in paid or unpaid practice. The standard applies to enrolled nurses, registered nurses and midwives who are on leave from work, for example, maternity leave.
There are many other reasons:
- It enables you to deliver evidence based care
- Facilitates change and quality projects to improve patient outcomes
- Facilitates your education of patient and peers
- Practice changes over time and the 'best way to do it this year' may not be 'the best way next year'
- Participating in education usually involves interaction with peers